Don’t Panic – your efforts and ingenuity to meet communication needs will demonstrate respect and a willingness to assist the consumer
Persons who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing are either VISUAL or AUDITORY communicators.
- Visual communicators will typically require sign language interpreting or CART (Communication Access Realtime Translation www.cartinfo.org);
- Auditory communicators may benefit from the use of an FM system for accommodation. Check to see if one is available in your location.
You will need to know how to purchase Sign Language Interpreting (face to face or VRI) and CART services. Most One-Stop sites and DES offices use contracts for interpreting services.
Once a communication method has been determined, simply serve the needs of the consumer reflecting the Mission, Vision, Goals, Values and Principles of DES About DES
For TTY calls to RSA [Rehabilitation Services Administration (VR and IL)]:
- From the Metro Phoenix area call 602-340-7771
- Toll Free from outside the 480, 602, and 623 area codes call 855-475-8194
- For calls using Arizona Relay Service, if the 7-1-1 access is not set up at an office, use AZ Relay 800-367-8939